Customer: I am currently a Doteasy customer. I have a website with Doteasy and I need to transfer my other website I have to Doteasy. I used a flash website creator to build my website and therefore it is mostly flash and has many picture files and music on the site. Will all these be transferred, too, or will they be lost when I bring my website over to the Doteasy server?
We’ve been noticing quite a bit of similar inquiries from our customers recently and we would like to address these concerns so that you can be better informed, whether you’re thinking of transfer to or away from Doteasy’s Website Creator.
What is Flash-page builder?
Flash-page builder allows you to create Flash websites using their WYSIWYG Flash website building tool.
Why is it popular?
It allows you to create a Flash website without any knowledge of coding, scripting, or Flash animation, and without the need of expensive Flash editing softwares and programs. You add music, video and widgets with just a few clicks of the mouse.
If Flash-page builder is as awesome as it claims then why are people transferring to Doteasy?
The most common concerns and complaints we’ve received:
- A lot of flash-page builder provides free hosting plan. However, their hosting plans don’t offer enough bandwidth and come with banner ads. To remove the ads and/or upgrade the bandwidth to 1GB, clients have to pay around $10 per month.
- No email services are provided – you cannot set up @yourdomain.com email accounts
- There are ongoing browser compatibility issues – only FireFox and Internet Explorer 8 are supported. However, the latest Flash must be installed in the browser. There are known/reported problems with Safari and Opera. Your Flash website is not supported on mobile devices.
- The maximum file upload size is normally 10MB.
- 3rd Party codes are not supported, unless it is custom-codes provided by the flash-page builder service provider. For example, you won’t be able to add a Twitter badge even if you’re using the Twitter widget from Twitter.com.
- You don’t get FTP access so there is no way of retrieving your uploaded files or website files (this means you won’t be able to download your existing web files in the event you want to transfer to another web hosting provider)
Unfortunately, for the customer who sent us the above inquiry, he won’t be able to transfer his existing web files (Flash, music, images, text, etc.).