Here are some SEO tips for your WordPress blog:
1. Alter the Permalink structure
Set your permalinks optimally for SEO. The permalink of your WordPress blog, by default, looks like http://yourdomain.com/?p=N, where N is the Post ID number. While it works on all server environments, it is not SEO-optimal.
You can easily change your permalink structure by clicking on the “Settings” tab and then “Permalinks” menu on the dashboard of WordPress. You can choose from the “common” structures provided or you can enter your own in the “Custom Structure” field using the structure tags. Make sure your do not put your domain URL in the permalinks field. You must use structure tags.
- %year% – displays the 4-digit post year in the link (ie. 2004)
- %monthnum% – displays the 2-digit post month in the link (ie. 05)
- %day% – displays the day of the post in the link
- %postname% – displays the post name in the link
- %category% – displays the category of the post in the link
- %author% – displays the author name in the link
For example, if you want to display the post’s category and the title in the permalink, you will need to enter the following in the Custom Structure field: /%category%/%postname%/
2. Add a comprehensive SEO Pack
You can install the All in One SEO Pack plug-in. The plug-in allows you to optimize meta tags, keyword tags, description and add a custom title for your blog.
3. Optimize the home page of your blog site
Use a keyword research tool to find good keyword phrases for your home page. Include the keyword phrases in the meta description, title tags and the content of your home page.
4. Optimize your blog’s images
You can optimize your images by using keywords in the “Alt” attribute and the names of the images. Also, include an image description in the image title tag.